Our Mattress Story
(and why we went 'green'!?)
Everyone asks us why we started making natural/organic mattresses and why they are best! The simple answer is that we set out to produce the best quality baby mattresses and it was this which led us to 'going green'. Using natural materials such as wool does not only produce a more breathable baby mattress, but also means that we do not need to add any chemicals whatsoever making for a safe, natural chemical-free sleeping environment for your baby.
- Mark Nicholls co-founder of The Little Green Sheep
The Mattress Journey
All our baby mattresses use ONLY natural and organic materials, right from start to finish.
Which Little Green Sheep Mattress?
Every baby is different, which is why The Little Green Sheep offer a wide range of natural and organic mattresses to best suit both baby and budget.
Some Mattress Do's
With newborn babies sleeping on average 18 hours per day, choosing the right mattress for your baby is crucial. With so much choice, here are a few tips on what to look out for:
- A firm sleeping surface, as recommended by FSID (www.fsid.org.uk) for babies up to 12 months
- Breathable – your mattress should help maintain a consistent temperature for your baby, by allowing air to circulate freely
- Your cot mattress should not be thicker than 10cm
- Ensure that the mattress it is a good fit for your cot; your baby should not be able to get their limbs trapped in between the mattress and the side of their cot. The maximum gap is 2cm
- Buy a new mattress if possible; avoid the use of second hand/used mattresses if you cannot be sure of its history
- All cot mattresses legally must conform to BS 7177 fire safety standard
- We recommend turning your mattress every 3 months (if relevant)
- Hoovering your mattress can help reduce the risk of dust mites
- A waterproof mattress protector is recommended
- If your mattress is soiled, lightly sponge the cover with a mild detergent and air until completely dry